This is so weird. I’ve even got “son off to uni” written in my diary I was that sure of it. Now it’s all change and HE’S STILL HERE!! In my house. For another year! Actually I”m very pleased although we’re going to have to sort out a few new rules. Things like
1. Stop sleeping so much
2. Get out of bed before 3pm
3. Get a job.
4. Work out where the dishwasher and washing machine are in the house
5. Work out a way of making lunch by yourself that doesn’t involve standing in front of the fridge staring mournfully into it waiting for a three tiered sandwich to leap out by itself.
6. Find out where the local supermarket is and how to pay for your own items.
7. Start revising for retakes in January.
8. Start working out how to pay for your travelling later next year.
and so on…..I’m showing him newspaper articles of depressing stuff – the three 19 year old’s that had just started their travels all being killed on a coach in Thailand – so desperately tragic. Their mothers have launched a campaign to make more people aware of how dangerous it is to be on a coach after dark in Thailand – their road traffic accident figures are about 10 times higher per year than ours.
He has sent out CV’s and even had some interviews. He’s got a trial shift in a pub tomorrow and some event work to do so I think he’ll be fine. You just want them to make the most of the time and not waste it.
I am thinking of going with him on his gap year – anyone else want to come?